Hundreds of thousands of people walk the streets of New Orleans every year. Many of them struggle to quantify the experience of walking those streets, but one word encompasses their reality - vulnerable.
Pedestrians, bicyclists and motor vehicle drivers all share the same roads, and some of those roads make it a challenge to stay safe. As a pedestrian, you need to take precautions:
- Use the crosswalks at intersections as often as possible.
- Stay on the sidewalks.
- Where no sidewalks exist, walk against the flow of traffic on the shoulder.
- At night, be visible by wearing bright clothing and carrying a flashlight.
- Stay off your electronic devices.
Keeping these tips in mind could save your life.
Is the risk really that great?
Yes. If you walk anywhere near traffic, the risk exists. However, being part of one of the following groups increases your risk:
- Legally impaired men and women are vulnerable.
- Men comprise the lion's share of pedestrians injured or killed as pedestrians.
- Pedestrians between the ages of 15 and 29 visit emergency rooms more often than any other age group with accident-related injuries.
- The older you are, the greater your risk.
Thousands of pedestrians die each year and hundreds of thousands suffer varying degrees of injury in traffic accidents. Children age 14 and under tend to suffer serious injuries or death more often due to inexperience as a pedestrian and size. One out of five children who dies in a traffic accident is a pedestrian.
I suffered serious injuries after a car hit me. What do I do now?
Depending on your injuries, your recovery could take a significant amount of time. During that time, medical bills, lost wages and other monetary losses add up quickly. A successful personal injury claim might provide you the compensation you need to alleviate those financial burdens. Seeking help with that claim can relieve you of the stress associated with a potential court action and dealing with insurance companies. Instead, you can focus on your recovery and let someone else help with the legalities.